The new Mary’s Point/Palmetto Point trial is almost finished, Saba Conservation Foundation (SCF) reported. Palmetto Point was the first settlement formed in Saba in 1629. The first inhabitants had links to pirates from Jamaica. In the latter part of the 19th century the settlement was renamed Mary’s Point because of a woman named Mary Simmons (born Zeegers) who had a large number of children remaining there.
In 1934, due to heavy erosion in the area, residents of Mary’s Point were relocated to the Promised Land. The houses were taken down completely, apart from the basements, and rebuilt at their new location.
Trail manager James Johnson and the crew at SCF have now built over 200 new steps to the old village. They have stabilized the steep slope and taken out large unstable boulders that could have potentially been dangerous to hikers. There will also be a rope railing at the more difficult parts of the trail. The Mary’s Point/Palmetto Point trail will be opened to the public soon.
The Daily Herald.