The fire works display at Flat Point organised by the Public Entity was stopped in the middle of the event because of a bush fire that resulted from the debris that landed.
The fire-brigade came into action by wetting part of the bushes that were endangered. At 8:30 pm the fire was not yet under control and spreading.
The firework display organised by the Public Entity of Saba at Flat Point on Sunday, December 30, was stopped in the middle of the event because of a bush fire that was caused by sparks that landed on the bushes.
The fire brigade came into action by wetting part of the bushes that were in danger. At 8:30pm, an hour-and-a-half after the firework show had started, the fire was not yet under control and spreading.
After some hard work by the local Fire Department, the fire was brought under control and extinguished. In a Facebook message on Monday, December 31, the Public Entity Saba thanked the firefighters for their efforts, as well as the volunteers who assisted with traffic control, clearing the road of vehicles and onlookers where necessary, to ensure that the fire trucks could reach the areas needed to combat the fire.
“It is with the combined efforts of these volunteers and the fire fighters that the fire was able to be extinguished,” the Public Entity stated.
Because the firework display was unable to be completed, the Public Entity consulted with the Fire Department and Just 4 Yu Enterprise, and decided to do a second firework display, combining the remaining of the Public Entity’s fireworks with the fireworks that Just 4 Yu Enterprise was planning to display. This firework display was held at Airport Road on Tuesday, January 1, at 7:00pm.
The Daily Herald.