Since October 2017, money held in bank accounts by residents of Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba is protected up to USD 10,000 per person, per bank.
De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB), responsible for managing the deposit guarantee for the Caribbean Netherlands, considers it important that residents are aware of the existence of the guarantee and its main conditions. Thanks to the deposit guarantee, customers of a bank can be assured that their savings are protected should anything happen to a bank. In this way, the guarantee also contributes to financial stability. Around the world, there are over one hundred countries that have in place a deposit guarantee system.
Conditions of the deposit guarantee
The brochure on the deposit guarantee clarifies that residents of Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba are protected up to USD 10,000 per person, per bank, provided they meet the following three conditions:
- The money is placed on an account of a bank that has been licensed by DNB and operates on Bonaire, St Eustatius or Saba;
- The resident (or company) is formally registered with the bank as the owner of the account;
- The resident has a sedula (or is a company) issued by the public entity Bonaire, St Eustatius or Saba.
Further information for residents
Residents of Bonaire who want further information about the deposit guarantee for the Caribbean Netherlands should contact their branch or visit their bank’s website. Visit DNB’s website for the Caribbean Netherlands for further information about the deposit guarantee. The website offers the brochure and a fact sheet in three different languages. Both documents explain how the deposit guarantee works. If you have any questions , you can also email or call DNB’s Information Desk (in Dutch or English).
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: +31 20 524 91 11 (international number). The Information Desk is located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and can be contacted on working days between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm (Central European Time / Central European Summer Time).
Read or download the fact sheet of the DNB below.
Note that the amount of the guarantee system is significantly different from that what the DNB provides for accounts in the European part of The Netherlands. This amounts to 100,000 euro per person.