Please allow me some space on your site because my concerns about my child’s education and that of others is absolutely worrying me. Therefore I hope that the school board will read this and take the necessary actions needed to rectify the current situation that our children are facing each day.
- During last academic year I stated constantly that the care at the SCS is not up to par. Now, one year later, we still have not seen any improvements in this area. No one knows what the care plan looks like and no one knows in which direction the school is going regarding care. The director is directly responsible for this.
- I reported last school year that the business teacher and lower form teacher will have to teach mathematics this school year since no new mathematics teacher has been recruited. We all know that mathematics is a weak subject area from lower to upper school. And it turns out to be so. Both of them are not qualified to teach mathematics in upper forms. So I expect an explanation by the school board how they can allow this to happen since Mr. Franklin clearly stated that he will act based on rules and regulations. Mr. Franklin, the school is breaking all the rules and regulations on this one.
- The same for the subject Dutch. No qualified teachers to teach the upper forms the Cambridge Dutch.
- The same for the subject Physical education. No teacher for this subject since Coach Derrick left the island. Students are missing out on this subject at least two hours per week. I absolutely start to wonder if this director takes his role seriously and is competent to run this school.
- And what happened with the ‘Golden Rule” that teachers and Director need to be in school one week before the academic school year starts?
- At the moment the students (approximately 45 girls and 45 boys) have two toilets to use during school hours, one for each gender. The school staff ( about 25 members) have one toilet. I am sorry, but this is absolutely unacceptable!! Mr. Franklin where are you with the rules and regulations? Officially you have to close a school under these circumstances. And you know what; these toilets have been ordered in Holland!! Does the director not know that we have hardware stores in Saba and St. Maarten? A crying shame Mr. Director, a clear example of mismanagement.
With all this said, the start of the new school year is absolutely a disaster. Mismanagement and no control, leads the school into a new academic year.
Don’t hide behind the results from CXC because SCS has always performed well. It is thanks to the dedication of teachers that the results were perfect. It is time that management shapes up and that the school board takes action as promised.