The Daily Herald published today the following “Letter to the Editor”:
Here are the points:
- Hiring nurses without diplomas and those with degrees cannot get an opportunity.
- Nurses being given positions and don’t know their head from their tail.
- When you complain about anything that you see or hear that’s not correct, your department head gets mad and takes away her speech from you for days.
- Nurses are being ignored on their daily duties.
- Patients a.o. (sick leave) papers being hidden so that they don’t have to see the government doctor. (Why? Because they are family members) * Nurses being bad talked and whispered about behind their backs, that’s why they don’t complain any more.
- Personal love affair is being brought in and fought about on the job.
- Some have to take their vacation but others get pay out under the table although there was a meeting stating that it is mandatory to take it yearly.
- Courses (Hurrex) held and only the favourite nurses can attend, not even half of the ward went. Half of the nurses walking around with them daily with carnival colour hairdos.
- Meeting held about no acrylic nails on the job and it still is taking place.
- Helicopter-training was held and only 2 to 3 nurses got the opportunities to travel overseas with patients in the case of emergencies.
- Telephone receptionist never in her office to answer the phone but receives her full salary. But when the former dentist was here she sat all on Fridays by the dentist office controlling the people like they were her kids, because of the under the table payment. (Ridiculous)
- Ambulance department is a total war zone. Who is not jealous of each other wants to fight each other because of positions on a daily basis.
- New vehicles being destroyed by the workers with their reckless driving and nothing being done about it.
- Vehicles being send to the car wash and there are workers driving around doing nothing.
- Lab is always excluded from any courses or trainings.
- Non-diploma nurses working in the Home Health Department.
- Patients calling in daily complaining that they are not receiving their daily care from the Home Health nurses.
- Cars being parked all over the island and nurses going home @ 10:00am to cook or going hairdresser and patients not getting seen.
- Children of Home Health workers being driven around and visiting patients’ residence especially on holidays. (Lack of babysitters they say.)
- Patients receiving rough treatment, neglect and insults from the Home Health nurses. For example: Not carrying them to pay their bills, cleaning up the place, leaving them unattended on the roads & doing their shopping.
- Supervisors with bad attitude when they have lovers’ stress. Merging! Merging! Merging! How can you merge two departments when both departments are in chaos? Henry Every Old of the Age!
- Nurses mistreat the seniors. What do you think about the emergency patients?
- The nurses at the Old Age Home don’t like to take courses and don’t like to be corrected at all.
- The nurses sit down in the Nurse’s Station the whole day in front of the computer or on their cell phones neglecting the clients.
- Cleaners and cooks are fighting, disturbing the patients from taking their rest.
- Wheelchairs are dirty and unkempt. * The elderly clients are sitting down without anything to do. (Just nodding and watching each other.) Shame! Shame! Shame! Hopefully, after this goes public that there will be changes for the upcoming year.
Have an enjoyable Christmas & a Happy New Year. Thank you!
Name withheld at author’s request.