Information meeting about CPEA for Statia and Saba teaching staff

On St. Eustatius, Mrs. Benita Bayer-Bowen of the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) recently led an information session to inform teaching staff of St. Eustatius and Saba about the CPEA (Caribbean Primary Exit Assessment) testing system of the CXC. The purpose of this system is to ensure that students can make a smooth transition from the elementary school to a secondary school which uses the exam structure of the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC). The reason for this is the fact that effective this school year in St. Eustatius English is the language of instruction and the secondary school on St. Eustatius is preparing itself to work with the CXC examination system.

Ms. Bayer-Bowen of CXC during the information session with the participants; all school directors of  St. Eustatius,  Education personnel from Saba, the Transition Coordinator, some external education specialists and Windward Islands representatives of RCN/Education, Culture and Science. (Photo RCN)
Ms. Bayer-Bowen of CXC during the information session with the participants; all school directors of St. Eustatius, Education personnel from Saba, the Transition Coordinator, some external education specialists and Windward Islands representatives of RCN/Education, Culture and Science.
(Photo RCN)

The CPEA system tests pupils in primary education on their competence in mathematics, language and science. The assessment of students is done in accordance with this system for 40% on school level based on projects, presentations by the students and tests made by the teacher. For the remaining 60% the rating is based on CXC made external test that the pupils sit in the final year of primary education. The system is very child friendly and shows from different angles at what level the students function. On the basis of this information the school can advise which direction in secondary education is the most appropriate for a student.

The schools are now going to look into the possibility of gradually introducing this system on St. Eustatius and Saba. The secondary school on Saba has been working for quite some time with the CXC examination system and is now also considering introducing the CPEA examination system.

Press release RCN

 

Sea & Learn 2015 is almost here
Marine Mammal and Shark Sanctuary Declaration handed to Saba Conservation Foundation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *